The big things Americans are willing to give up to keep their small joys
Is there anything better than taking in a small joy? Whether it’s coffee, a walk in the park or splurging on chips and guac, a recent survey shows that Americans would sacrifice quite a bit for them.
Wildly, one in three respondents would rather shave their head bald than give up their small joys for a year, according to new research.
The survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Avocados From Mexico, revealed that respondents will spend an incredible $1,795.56 on small joys every year.
Not only that, nearly one in five of the 2,000 Americans surveyed would sooner cut off their family for a year than sacrifice their small joys in life for the same amount of time.
But the price tag is no problem, according to the results, as 78 percent of those surveyed say they’d rather have and experience those small joys than keep the money they cost.
According to those surveyed, bad days are the perfect time to indulge in one of those small joys: 72 percent say they are more likely to seek out a small joy when they need to brighten up their day.
The survey went into some of the other crazy situations respondents would rather put themselves in than give up their beloved small joys and uncovered some amusing data.
For example, one in four survey participants would happily fend for themselves on a deserted island for a week than go a year without their small joys.
Nearly one in three would rather put themselves on house arrest for a month, while 23 percent would rather give up their senses of smell and taste for a year, and 24 percent would take a $10K annual pay cut.
Just in time for National Guacamole Day, celebrated on September 16th, it was revealed that about one in four survey participants would take a minute-long swim in shark-infested waters rather than go without guacamole for a year. One in four would also give up coffee in exchange for fresh guacamole.
“It’s easy to see why people consider fresh guacamole a small joy, and what they would do to keep that small joy — as we say, avocados are always worth it,” said Kevin Hamilton, Senior Director of Marketing at Avocados From Mexico.
The survey also unveiled favorite small joys and found listening to your favorite music crowned as number one among survey participants (58 percent).
Food was another popular small joy among Americans participating in the survey, as cooking a favorite meal (58 percent), guacamole (44 percent) and ice cream (57 percent) were all top choices.
Getting new clothes (57 percent), watching the sunset (56 percent), going to the movies (57 percent) and even something as simple as holding hands with someone you love (58 percent) all scored high marks as well.
“This survey makes it clear that the simple things bring joy, and luckily not much has to be sacrificed for great guacamole,” said Hamilton. “Grab the salt, lime juice, onion, cilantro and, of course, fresh Avocados From Mexico to treat yourself this National Guacamole Day.”
AMERICA’S TOP 25 SMALL JOYS
- Listening to your favorite album 58%
- Cooking your favorite meal 58%
- Ice cream 57%
- Getting new clothes 57%
- Holding hands with someone you love 57%
- Going to the movies 57%
- Watching the sunset or sunrise 56%
- Being able to sleep in with no alarm set 56%
- A comfy bed 56%
- Taking a long shower 55%
- Air-conditioning 54%
- Coffee from my favorite coffee shop 54%
- Baked treats (cookie, muffin, etc.) 54%
- Finding a good new book to read 53%
- Smelling flowers 52%
- Ordering takeout/delivery 51%
- New car smell 51%
- Nice glass of beer or wine after a long day 51%
- A pricey but delicious meal 50%
- A good hair day 49%
- A lazy drive to nowhere in particular 47%
- Cleaning your room 47%
- Fresh avocado 47%
- Candles 44%
- Guacamole 44%
How strongly do you agree or disagree with the following statement? ‘My small joys are always worth the money.’
- Strongly agree 50.70%
- Somewhat agree 32.50%
- Neither agree or disagree 13.34%
- Somewhat disagree 2.46%
- Strongly disagree 1.01%
Would you rather give up guacamole for a year or take a minute-long swim in shark-infested waters?
- Give up guacamole 48.90%
- Swim with sharks 21.22%
- Both equally likely 17.31%
- Neither 12.57%
Which of the below would you rather do than give up your small joys for one year? (Select all that apply)
- Be detained by the ‘authorities’ 24.08%
- Give up your eyesight for a month 18.70%
- Give up your sense of smell/taste for a month 22.83%
- Eat only oatmeal for a year 24.08%
- Not leave your house for month 29.73%
- Eat a live worm one time 21.47%
- Sneeze constantly for 12 hours 20.82%
- Take a $10K annual pay cut 24.02%
- Shave your head 28.80%
- Swim in shark-infested water for one minute 21.41%
- Live on a deserted island fending for yourself for a week 26.36%
- Not speak to your family for a year 18.70%
- All of your vacation days at work for a month 25.92%
- Give up take-out for a month 31.63%
- Live with your partner’s parents for a month 29.40%
- None of the above 14.35%
What would you do for free fresh guacamole for a year? (check all that apply)
- Shave your head 38.35%
- Swim in shark-infested water for one minute 31.36%
- Live on a deserted island fending for yourself for a week 38.94%
- Listen to nails on a chalkboard for 30 minutes 38.94%
- Walk on a tightrope between 2 buildings 33.61%
- Give up half your vacation time 36.28%
- Something else 10.20%
- Nothing / N/A / not sure 15.53%
NOTE: All news copy and multimedia on this SWNS account is free to use as you see fit. Where research has been conducted, we ask that you credit the company which commissioned it.